The William Cecil Hotel, formerly The Lady Anne’s Hotel, comprises three separate listed buildings – Nos. 36, 37 & 38 High Street St Martin’s.
No. 36 was described as “newly built” in 1771 for John Clarke, the 9th Earl of Exeter’s clerk or agent, whose father William was a notable Stamford quarryman and mason. The house was then extended at the rear in the early 19thcentury.
The earliest mention of No. 37 is in deeds dated 1763, although little of the 18th century building fabric remains as it was extensively renovated and expanded in the mid 19th century.
No. 38 dates from the early-mid 18th century. In the Stamford Mercury 8th April 1796 it was advertised as consisting of “Two cellars; and on the Ground Floor, Three parlours; a Kitchen, Scullery, Larder, and Butler’s Pantry; on the First Floor, Four Chambers; and two rooms in the Attic Story; a Yard, Garden, and Appurtenances, walled round”. At this date the property belonged to George Lucas Esquire, but it had previously been occupied by Lady Anne Cecil (1734-85), sister of the ninth Earl of Exeter, Brownlow Cecil.
Lady Anne is buried in the family crypt at St Martin’s Church and it was after her that the hotel was named until the change of name to The William Cecil in 2010.